We create and have access to a wide variety of historic and current studies, statistics, and plans on issues that affect our Region. Our resource library includes reference materials, manuals, and handbooks useful to officials in small towns and is open to the public. Materials can be reviewed by appointment, where a staff member can guide you to the right source you need. Some materials are also digital and can be forwarded upon request. Please call with any questions about information we may have.
Below are some of our more recent regional or multi-jurisdictional publications. Additional publications specific to particular subjects can be found under each Program page.
Regional Plan as amended in 2018
The Regional Plan was adopted on November 18, 2014 and amended on June 25, 2018 with the inclusion of the Regional Energy Plan. The 2018 Regional Plan becomes effective on July 30, 2018.
The Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commission wishes to thank all of the individuals who contributed their time and expertise to the revision of the Southern Windsor County Regional Plan.
For more information about the Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commission please visit our “RPC Board” page
Southern Windsor County Regional Plan (Volume 1)
- All Chapters (1.9Mb)
- Appendix A (Maps)
- Map 1 – Land Use Land Cover (11Mb)
- Map 2 – Existing Development Pattern (1Mb)
- Map 3 – Future Land Use (2.3Mb)
- Map 4 – Utilities (8.4Mb)
- Map 5 – Agricultural Soils (3.6Mb)
- Map 6 – Wildlife (18Mb)
- Map 7 – Significant Natural Resources (1.3Mb)
- Map 8 – Water Resources and Flood Areas (1Mb) and Map 8 insets (0.6Mb)
- Map 9 – Topographic Constraints (5.1Mb)
- Map 10 – Septic Suitability (1.6Mb)
- Map 11 – Recreation (1.3Mb)
- Appendix B (100kb)
- Appendix C (100kb)
Regional Transportation Plan (Volume 2)
Regional Energy Plan (Volume 3)
- All Chapters
- Appendix A – Energy Data Summaries
- Appendix B – Regional Energy Maps
- Appendix C – Glossary
- Appendix D – Acronyms
Our technical bulletins are short overviews of some of our projects, programs and relevant planning topics. Let us know if there are any topics you would like us to cover in the future.
- Southern Windsor County Brownfield Reuse Project (May 2011)
- Southern Windsor County and the 2010 Census (July 2011)
- Sources of demographic, employment and housing data (July 2011)
- Vermont’s Complete Streets Law (September 2011)
- Housing and Transportation Affordability in Southern Windsor County (May 2012)
- Water Quality (August 2016)
- Roads and the Clean Water Act (September 2016)
VT 103 Corridor Management Plan: Chester and Rockingham
- Table of Contents
- Vision & Goals
- Existing Conditions
- Future Conditions
Final Broadband Plan
Throughout 2011 and 2012, Regional Planning Commissions across Vermont collaborated with local partners to identify current broadband opportunities and gaps. Regional Planning Commission staff developed Regional Technology Teams comprised of interested stakeholders including education, business, town government, and health care. These teams collaborated to develop an action plan of strategies for greater broadband implementation throughout the state and across economic sectors. SWCRPC staff met with representatives from seven different economic sectors to complete a Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Challenges analysis for broadband adoption. The sectors included: business, education, energy/utilities, healthcare, human service, libraries, media, municipal government/emergency services, and non-profit/service. These meetings not only identified current successes and gaps in broadband adoption, but also allowed for cross-sector partnerships to be formed.
The Vermont Association of Planning and Development Organizations statewide report on broadband can be found at:
North Springfield Truck Study
Completed in 2008, the North Springfield Truck Study evaluates traffic related issues for the North Springfield Industrial Park. Click here for the Full Study
Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy for East Central Vermont
A Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) is an economic development plan required by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Economic Development Administration (EDA) for areas to be eligible for planning and construction funds to improve their economies.
Connecticut River Byway Travel Guide
Have you visited the Cady Mausoleum in Brownsville or the Crown Point Military Road in Weathersfield and Springfield? These are just two of 100 historic sites profiled in a new travel guide of the Connecticut River Byway, a project led by SWCRPC. The Byway runs on major roads on both the Vermont and New Hampshire sides of the Connecticut River, and the travel guide covers over 500 miles of roadway between the Massachusetts and Quebec borders. It’s an interesting guide with car, bicycle and kayak routes, as well as information about historic sites along the way. The brochure was printed in November and has started to be delivered to a wide variety of locations along the Byway – including visitor centers, Chambers and historical societies. The Byway website (www.ctriverbyway.org) has the travel guide uploaded with an interactive map. Contact Katharine if you’d like a copy or more information about the project.
2014 Regional Forest Stewardship Report
In 2013, SWCRPC started working on a project to look at landscape-based forest stewardship in the Region. This project built upon the work of four other Regional Planning Commissions (RPCs) which started in 2010 and was funded by the US Department of Agriculture Forest Service. The following are useful documents connected with Phase 2 of the project (which includes the SWCRPC region). For more information about the project, contact Katharine.
- Map 1-Landcover
- Map 2-ForestProducers
- Map 2a-ForestProductivity-Geology
- Map 2b-ForestProductivity-Elevation
- Map 2c-ForestProductivity
- Map 3-Forest Recreational Resources
- Map 4-Forest Habitat Blocks
- Map 5-Forest Ecological Resources
- Map 6-Forest Water Resources
- Map 7-Landscape Classification
- Map 8-Forest Resource Constraints
- Map 9-Conserved Land and UVA_Parcels
- Map10-Forest Stewardship Potential
- Map11-Forest Activity approximation