How much of the Connecticut River Byway have you traveled?
November 18, 2014
Have you visited the Cady Mausoleum in Brownsville or the Crown Point Military Road in Weathersfield and Springfield? These are just two of 100 historic sites profiled in a new travel guide of the Connecticut River Byway, a project led by SWCRPC. The Byway runs on major roads on both the Vermont and New Hampshire sides of the Connecticut River, and the travel guide covers over 500 miles of roadway between the Massachusetts and Quebec borders. It’s an interesting guide with car, bicycle and kayak routes, as well as information about historic sites along the way. The brochure was printed in November and has started to be delivered to a wide variety of locations along the Byway – including visitor centers, Chambers and historical societies. The Byway website (www.ctriverbyway.org) is due to have the travel guide uploaded with an interactive map in the next few months. Contact Katharine if you’d like a copy or more information about the project.
Windsor Bicycle & Pedestrian Scoping Study Second Work Session
November 5, 2014
The Town of Windsor is sponsoring the second of three public work sessions on various projects to improve bicycling and walking conditions in the downtown and along Route 5 north of the downtown. It will be held at the Welcome Center on November 18, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. Click here for more details.
VT Transportation Board Hearings focus on the thoughts of young people 18-35
October 2, 2014
Each fall the Vermont Transportation Board (T-Board) travels around the state to engage Vermonters in a face-to-face dialogue, as well as solicit comments via its website about transportation issues. This year, the Board plans to focus its attention on the thoughts of young people (age 18-35), particularly focusing on transportation policy and Vermont’s future. Hearings will be held at a variety of places across the state in October and November. For more information see the calendar, click here, contact Katharine Otto (SWCRPC) or John Zicconi (T-Board Secretary)
Windsor Hosts First Public Work Session for Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvement Study
September 10, 2014
Through a grant from the Vermont Agency of Transportation, the Town of Windsor has been able to examine improvements in the downtown area and along Route 5 between the downtown and the Interstate. The study is the next step in implementing some of the recommendations of the Downtown Plan. In particular, the plan will be looking at how to improve walking and bicycling conditions in the downtown by adding better crosswalks on Main Street, a new path along the railroad and additional improvements on Main Street near Price Chopper.
Please join us on Thursday, September 18, 2014 for a public work session in which input, concerns, issues or ideas are encouraged about walking and bicycling in the downtown and along Route 5 north. It will be held at 7:00 PM at the Welcome Center.
Emergency Relief and Assistance Fund
Emergency Relief and Assistance Fund (ERAF) Rule Change
February 4, 2014
Following presidentially declared disasters, the State of Vermont and FEMA provide Public Assistance (PA) funding to towns to assist in rebuilding and repairing municipal infrastructure. Under this program, FEMA provides 75% funding with the remaining 25% being split between the State of Vermont and towns. In 2012, the State modified the rules that determine the proportion of this State/local cost share. Attached is a letter from Vermont Secretary of Administration Jeb Spaulding, that addresses these and other changes to Vermont’s Emergency Relief and Assistance Fund (ERAF) that will take effect on Oct. 23, 2014. Please also see our Winter 2014 Newsletter for more information.
Click here to view letter
East Central Vermont (ECV) Consortium Outreach Plan
November 25, 2013
SWCRPC is joining efforts with the Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission (TRORC) to develop a regional plan for East Central Vermont (ECV) that will guide decision-making and investments aimed at maintaining the place we call home. Several of the towns in our region have already signed up as Consortium members and, as this is a public process, we are attempting to put out the word that involvement is desired. Several draft documents and information about working groups is available athttp://ecvermont.org/news/ Please contact Dan Potter at email@example.com for additional information.
In early 2012, the Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commission began to develop a housing and transportation affordability model. As a rural area, the RPC has long recognized the significant distances that the region’s residents travel for essential tasks such as work, buying groceries and medical appointments. The RPC also recognized in their 2009 Regional Plan the significant increases in housing prices in the region over the last few years.